A photo of the Gate Lodge in Glengarriff from approx 100 years ago, known to the locals as Willie Brian Connor’s, has surfaced in the last few weeks.
It is interesting to compare the two photos. The area around the Gate Lodge at the entrance to the Glengarriff Nature Reserve is much more wooded in 2016 than it was 100 years ago when this picture was taken by English photographer Robert French. The exact date is unknown but it was sometime between 1880 and 1914. The photograph is from the famous Lawrence Photograph Collection, Copyright National Library of Ireland.